7 June 2013

A spacious and airy 1960s flat in Brussels. A lot of honey-coloured block parquet, mahogany- veneered doors and big window frames.

The kitchen was separate from the living area. Not good for an enthusiastic cook with friends waiting to be fed in the room next door. So the first thing we did was open up the kitchen to the living, this was an easy one, to convince the client - read on to learn about the real challenge...  
We jointly worked out the colour scheme. It had to be quiet, not pretentious and bright. So, mainly off-white, towards very light grey walls, pale oak -wide plank floor boards, lime green doors (not all of them!), touches of Designer's Guild wallpaper, chosen by the client, and light blue (it is not blue you are going to tell me...). Client thinks the resulting scheme is very 'me'. I think it is very 'her'.

The kitchen - the instruction I got was: contemporary materials, but not a slick minimalist look. I read this as 'keep the look of the kitchen in line with the living area, but practical'. It will be a mixture of colours and textures: rustic oak, high gloss, white composite worktop, cream, lime green and dark grey. All of these colours against a background of the original 1960s light blue tiles.
I had to fight to keep the tiles, this was the challenge. And the client is reserving her judgement... The builder did meanwhile a star job getting new sockets in the wall without cracking a single one! (In case you are wondering, the electricity cables have been recessed on the other side of the wall.)
The kitchen will have two work areas opposite each other with an induction hob set against the old tiles. The large opening allows easy flow and breaks up the galley feel. The work surface will wrap around the new opening into the living area.
And this is a few weeks ago, when most of the old stuff was ripped out. Note that the fire place had its rustic metal hood taken off. The blue paint is the result of a creative farewell paint party to the old flat.
And this is how wooden spoons can be used to work out where a new opening in the wall is going to be.

On this project - I finally got permission to blog about it. I still have to create a separate entry for it (all the other entries are under the weekly blog, scroll down), I will blog more on the works as it get together, which it does, at high speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.